Sustainability East Asia LLC (Sustainability) have been awarded a three-year contract with two one-year options for extension for the Core Biodiversity Monitoring (CBM) management by Oyu Tolgoi LLC in Mongolia.
Under this award, Sustainability will coordinate an international and national multidisciplinary team of sub-consultants to deliver fundamental core biodiversity monitoring programs (CBMP) including: Khulan movement, Khulan collaring, Goitered Gazelle collaring, carcass, ground survey, traffic monitoring, rangeland monitoring, Saxual monitoring, antipoaching, and the sustainable cashmere project.
Across the CBMP and Biodiversity Offset programs Sustainability’s project coordination scope includes:
- Monitoring of overall schedule to ensure milestones are met;
- Coordination of monthly progress meetings;
- Annual summary report for CBMP;
- Planning and participation in the CBMP annual workshops;
- Facilitation of logistics of biodiversity offset working groups;
- Facilitation of logistics of biodiversity symposium and workshops with various stakeholders, and
- Communication of results to the important stakeholders including MNET, Local EPA, herders etc.
Sustainability has led this regional biodiversity monitoring program since 2012. The program is aimed at verifying Oyu Tolgoi’s biodiversity management initiatives and providing data that to support the Project’s aim of achieving a net positive impact on biodiversity.
The program is the largest of its type in Mongolia and is helping to provide a better understating of the unique environmental values of the region, including a number of species whose last remaining populations are restricted to the Gobi regions of Mongolia.